Saturday, June 18, 2011

Flash Walkthrough : Part 2

After a long hiatus, here it is!

Now, where in the world was I? 

AAAHHHHHHH!!!!





















Oh right!  So now he's got a nice new wrinkly neck (wrinkle tutorial in the works BTW) so something had to be done about that face.  Specifically it needed to be removed.  Why?  Well, why not?  I seem to like making extra work for myself.  Anywho, I keep forgetting to take inbetween photos but after a few hours, his fase began to take shape.






















Yes his eyes are bright yellow.  I've tried sculpting the whole eye section from scratch, but I always end up with wonky eye balls.  So I cheat.  Meet my traditional horse eye balls!  These 6mm plastic BB balls are the perfect size for this in my opinion.


























Next I insterted a tail wire to build on.  If you need help with that, go check out Laura Skillern's blog Don't Eat The Paint.  She's got awesome, easy to follow tutorials for lots of things.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The tail itself keeps going through various stages of fugly.  I'm resisting the urge to rip it off and restart.  It's gotta get better eventually.  Maybe.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I also laid down an armature for the mane while working on the tail.  Since this is a flying mane I usually let the epoxy set for a good 45 minutes before applying it to the model and then I hit it with my heat gun to get it to set.  If I think of it I will put wire in the epoxy pieces too, but I don't usually get that far.  I know that there are people that use mesh wire or other materials to essentially build out the shape of the mane and tail before applying epoxy.  I prefer to make the whole thing out of epoxy for complete adjustability.  Mostly because I am constantly applying and sanding until I'm satisfied with the results.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And he's still not done!  So there will be (at least) another walkthrough on this guy.  I hope noone is tired of seeing him yet.  I know I am, but that's because he stares at me all the time with these sad, yellow eyes.  Where is a Blab smilie when I need one?

3 comments:

Braymere said...

Trust me. No one is tired of seeing him. In fact, I'd like to see him every day on my shelf...

:)

talkingMongo0se said...

^ I ditto Braymere. He's already freaking pretty despite looking like spawn of Cthulu with those glowing yellow eyes and tentacle tail (Note: don't rip it off, its looking cool).

Heather said...

Braymere, you can have him! He can stare at you with those creepy eyes. Well, at least his head is attached to his body. That's more than I can say for a surprising number of horses in my room. Oops. lol

Ack no! That tail is awful! Especially if you saw it with the now finished mane. Good tihng i have a dremel and know how to use it. XD