Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Speaking of dead bodies...

(shoosh, I like Halloween)

I unearthed this guy again.  He's been here just a few times before

His nick name might need to be Humpty Dumpty.  Since the most recent post back in August, he has lost his legs...



Got a little 'hole-y'...

No, I couldn't decide where I wanted that leg.

Got put back together again...

Legs everywhere!

Annnnnnd lost some limbs again...


The other two should come off again too.

I keep putting him down and picking him up and debating what I'm going to do with him.  I might have mentioned it somewhere, but my final goal with him was to get him cast in resin.  Thus why I continue to rip things off if I'm not happy with them.  If there's going to be more than one of him, he's going to be as perfect as I can make him darn it! 

However, I've hit a possible snag.  When I started him a few years ago, I believed it to still be an acceptable practice to cast drastic customs.  When I say drastic I'm talking about Orinocco and Calamity Jane levels of drastic, not todays accepted level of "drastic" which I wouldn't even think of casting.  Cue snag - apparently most artists and people (according to Blab) will not purchase a resin that was cast from a custom.

Thus I'm torn.  I finally believe that I have figured out the last big changes I have to make to my jumper and then I can move on to the detailing.  But I am hesitant to go any further if I can't (shouldn't) cast him.  I have trouble justifying all the work that still needs to be done just for him to be a OOAK custom.

So if I am going to go with the knowledge that people will not purchase a resin from a custom, I would need to restart from scratch.  I might have less issues since I've made most of the posing mistakes with this body already (hopefully), but allllll that time I have invested in him currently bothers me.  Again, I'm so close to detailing, do I really want to go back to nothing?

Bah.  As you can see, I've been thinking about this much to much.  I really want to work on him, but all of that holds me back. 

Too much deep thinking this late at night considering how early I have to get up.  Lighter post to follow, I promise!

 

5 comments:

talkingMongo0se said...

I hope you can get it cast because of all the work that has gone into him, but I am sadly not into the model horse world enough to comment.

On a light note, I think you forgot to include his 'spoon for a head' phase. :P

Anonymous said...

Just my two cents, but I would certainly buy him/her. I realize I don't speak for everyone, but I have absolutely no problem buying a resin that started life as an OF. Now let me be clear, if I can still recognize the original horse I will be very hesitant to buy because it seems too much like buying a very expensive CM. However, if I am looking purely at the horse (Assuming I like how it looks)and I can't immediately tell that it started as a custom, I wouldn't have a problem buying him. Judging from the pictures, once you have this guy finished I would probably think he was an original sculpt. You may want to post an ad somewhere once his is a bit more put-together to gague interest, but I think this guy is too cool to just be abandoned.

LM

Kismet Lodge said...

I agree with the above, if I can see the original horse in it, I wouldn't, but him, he is really neat!! especially if his back legs are going to be tucked up to the side a bit, like he has to move them to the side to get over the jump he calculated as being smaller. What was he to start with before you began on him??? I really do think he is way to cool to stop!! Even if he was an OOAK, he should get a good price if you were to sell him, and he'd have your name to him :)

Ailanreanter said...

Just sharing my personal opinion on this, to maybe help you decide. :)
I am personally more into CM horses than resins and as a CM alone I already find him awesome, please do not stop working on him!

As for the to cast or not to cast matter, here's what I think:
While I indeed personally prefer "true" OSCs made into resins, I would certainly make a huge distinction between those light CMs that are cast and offered and where you see the orignial mold in a blink of an eye and those true drastic remakes, where you have no idea of the model they are based on.
In the latter case - an yours certainly counts with those- I tend to think that the main difference to an OSC is that the "frame" was more advanced at the start, than a on a complete OSC, but the amount of work put in into it comes very close.
(Sometimes it can be even more time consuming to correct all the faults of an existing mold while turning it into a new shape than it is to sculpt the area in question completely new and from scratch. (I have done both, so at least for me this is so))
So a long comment cut short- I am very sure that you would find happy customers who buy your horse, if you'd cast him.

Braymere said...

Personally, I don't have a huge issue with cast customs. Granted, I don't actually want to own most of them, but that has more to do with the quality of the finished product rather than the process from which it was created.

This horse, to my eyes at least, looks nothing like the original source. I'm usually pretty good at recognizing the model under the epoxy, but so much of the original is gone already... I don't see any problem with casting it.