Monday, December 7, 2009

Braids!

Oh yes, they are everywhere. Needless to say it started with the AA Thoroughbred. I wasn't happy enough with his briad job, so I sanded it off and redid it.  and I worked on the face a bit, so it looks like a wreck again.  Oh well.




It came out well enough that I felt it was finally time to tackle Victrix.  Putting that epoxy on was one of the scariest things I've done recently.  Armed with this image and one sculpting tool, it began.  Two hours later...












I'm thrilled with the result!  Seriously, I couldn't be any happier with how they turned out.  She has 50 tiny braids in her mane.  I can't waitto paint her now, but in the rush of the moment, I forgot that she wasn't completely prepped!  D'oh.  So I can't do the forelock and tail until I finish prepping her.  (Somebody better yell at me if I do)

But braids!  Yay!  I'm thinking of offering them as a commisionable thing.  (is that even a word?)  Trying to figure out a good price system so that I'm getting paid for my time, but not so much that no one will buy it.  Why can't there be a cheat sheet for this type of thing?

2 comments:

Braymere said...

VERY nice braids! I look forward to seeing your Victrix all painted up. She's off a great start.

I did a couple posts about hunter braids on my blog a while back. If you're interested in more reference pictures (not that you need them)here are the links:
http://braymere.blogspot.com/2009/07/hunter-braids-part-one.html
http://braymere.blogspot.com/2009/07/hunter-braids-part-two.html

Heather said...

Thanks very much! I'm actually kind of sad, the photos don't show nearly as much detail as the braids actually have. (I'm gonna toss it up as semi-poor photography and lighting skills, lol). The braided mane and tail shots are great, thanks for pointing me to them!